Wednesday 10 September 2014

I Think Your Shirt Is Nice

As anyone who's ever worked out at a gym knows, you don't exactly look your best when you finish your workout. Yes, you have that "glow" about you (which is usually sweat) but your face is red, your hair is a mess and is stuck to your face/neck and sometimes you don't smell the best.

My gym outfit changes from week to week. It all depends on the weather and what's clean. This week, it's cotton shorts that come to my knees and a plain jane, dark blue, scoop neck cotton t-shirt. It's actually very comfortable. The shirt is very soft.

Anyhow, I was too tired to bother changing back into my work clothes after the gym today so I opted to go home in my shorts and t-shirt. What do I care? I'm just going to the bus, getting on it and going home. So I get on the bus tonight. It's almost full but there's a seat in the back. I get there and I'm organizing myself and moving my giant backpack out of the way and I notice the guy to my right looking at me. I looked over and he was looking directly at me. He smiled, so I smiled back. I always do that. Doesn't matter who offers me a smile on the bus or on the street, I always smile back. It's the polite thing to do, especially in our digital obsessed work. I dig my iPod out of my purse and I'm playing with it and I look over and the guy is still looking at me. He then pulls the cord and gets up to get off at the next stop.

On his way to the door, he leans over and says to me "I think your shirt is nice." So I just smiled and said "Thank you very much". He got off the bus and I plugged in my iPod and dissolved in my music. He was kind of cute too. LOL.

Here's the fun part - my internal monologue is thinking "you look like hell. Your face is blotchy, your mascara is most likely flaking off  and your outfit isn't flattering at all" but thankfully, confident Sarah over-ruled and simply said "thank you".

I'm actually really bad with accepting compliments. I get thrown off my game when someone offers me a random compliment. On the up side, I've gotten very good at accepting them. I used to brush them off and try to downplay whatever the person has said but now, I say thank you and that's that. Learning to accept that other people, even perfect strangers sometimes, can see good things about me and make complimentary comments to me is all part of the growing process.

As a random funny thought, my horoscope told me that a new person on my social scene would get my attention...but a relationship with this person would never last. Maybe that was kind of cute bus man? LOL.

Good Night!

Sarah

No, this isn't what I was wearing but it's one of my favourite dresses

No comments:

Post a Comment