Tuesday 22 October 2013

Let's Get Physical

After a somewhat interesting day in the office, thanks to a last minute visit from some higher ups from another office, I escaped slightly later than planned and headed to Curves for my first actual work out.

For those not familiar with how Curves works, it's a circuit of equipment with a fun bouncy "recovery board" in between each machine. The machines are set up to work a different part of your body so that you're not focusing on 1 area for longer than 30 seconds. The recovery board is just that. A spot to recover while keeping your heart rate up.

There were 2 instructors so Steph went off one way with one and I went off in the other direction with the other. She started by taking me to each piece of machinery and showing me how it worked and then got me to try it. Once we were finished that, the real fun began. The idea is simple: go as hard as you can for 30 seconds and then switch. Sounds easy right? Oh hell no.

I can think of very few situations where 30 seconds has felt so long. I'm convinced that the little "change" lady sometimes counts to 45 seconds or even a minute. On some of those machines, I was feeling the burn after 10 seconds. That can't be good. One particular machine is used to do crunches on. You grab these handles and rock forward, using just your abs to move you. I moved maybe 4 inches. Too much stomach and boobs in the way! On another machine, larger busted ladies such as myself get to actually rest our boobs on a padded bar to allow for a better range of motion. Glad to see that someone was thinking.

All in all, I survived (and I think Steph did too) and we managed to get to the bus without falling over. Even though I had a snack before hitting up the gym, I was pretty damn hungry heading home. I almost let out a cheer of joy when I was digging in my purse for my keys and found leftover chocolate from my outing to the movies on Saturday. I'm not going to lie but I'm pretty sure I set a new speed record for downing it. And then, while waiting for the light so I could cross the street, a guy comes and stands beside me, holding a big Wendy's bag. Not only can I see the grease from the fries, I can smell them. OMG. I swear to god, I nearly took him out right then and there on the corner. I think I have a better understanding of how vampires feel now. LOL.

Thankfully, I made it home without harming innocent strangers or chocking on chocolate that I inhaled and proceeded to make dinner. While I am a little sore, I am feeling good about this. The plan is to go back on Thursday. Wish me luck.

Good Night!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment