Sunday 3 March 2013

Well That's Certainly Darker Than Planned...

Over the years, my hair has been many different colours. I have been a blond (once by accident and once on purpose), had my hair fire engine red (again, once by accident and once on purpose) and I've had it jet back (totally on purpose). I'm fortune in the fact that my skin tone lets me look good with lots of different hair colours. I used to dye it myself but over the last 5 years or so, I've been paying professionals to do it. Mainly because I had blond highlights for a long time and after the one and only time I let my mom give me highlights, I vowed never to let anyone other than a professional highlight me.

Seriously, she turned me into a blond. And took far too much joy in poking me in the head with that little stick. It was a kit where you wear a plastic cap with little holes cut out into it and you take this plastic hook like thing and poke it though the holes and pull a small strand of hair through (so the highlight look natural). I'm sitting in a chair, in my Gram's kitchen, with my mom stabbing me in the head. And then the grand son of one of my Gram's friends was over so mom let him take a stab at it. Literally. I should have known it was going to be a disaster by how much hair mom pulled through. I only wanted a few highlights. She did my entire head. The next issue arose when rinsing out the dye - mom freaked out a bit because my hair looked a bit orange, not remembering that hair darker when wet, so she decided that it wasn't done yet and made me sit longer. The result? Almost white blond hair. For a solid week I freaked myself out every morning when I first looked in the mirror.

Anyhow, December of 2011, I got tired of being a blond and went back to my roots as a brunette. I haven't actually coloured my hair in the last year. My stylist left the province and I have a hard time parting with the kind of money that salons charge, so I decided to try the "at home" approach again. Since I was going with a solid colour, I knew I couldn't screw up too badly. Last week, Baby F and NB helped me pick out a colour.  I was having a hard time deciding between 2 shades and silly me, I opted for the darker of the two. One of the cardinal rules of hair colour is always pick the lighter one when trying to decide between 2 colours. I knew this and still choose the darker one.

So....I dyed my hair tonight. And it's darker than it was. But a lot. Not quite 50 shades darker (ha-ha) but several shades darker than the photos on the box. It kind of looks like I'm attempting to channel my inner goth or something. It's not black but it's damn close. We'll go with dark chocolate. I will admit that I did want my hair to be darker and I wanted the little silver hairs that keep appear to be covered (and they totally are) but this is quite a fair bit darker than I'd hoped for. Oh well! I'm sure it will lighten up after the first wash or two. I'm also wearing a white top right now which probably makes it look darker than it is. I'll just have to remember to wear something dark to work tomorrow to compensate. LOL. And definitely remember to wear blush. And like my mom said, don't wear red lip stick...well, I could but people might not get that I'm just trying out my Elvira impression.

My hair feels soft and it's really shiny now though, so that's good. And my scalp doesn't feel like its on fire which is really good! It will be fun to see how many people at work tomorrow notice the colour change. Maybe I'll try for hot pink next time.

Good Night!

Sarah

At least it looks natural!


No comments:

Post a Comment