Thursday 31 January 2013

Game On!

Have I mentioned how happy I am to have hockey back? Well I am. I missed it. I really did. I am a true Canadian woman, so I love me my hockey. LOL.

There was no blog last night because I was out, cheering on my team and it was on the late side by the time I got home.

For her birthday, I gave my friend Steph a ticket to the Ottawa vs. Montreal game. It turned out to be almost a better present for me than her. We managed to escape work at a pretty decent time and got to the arena before 6pm, which was awesome. Not only did that mean that we got a pretty sweet parking spot, but we were also able to wander the building without fighting the crowds.





We opted to eat dinner at the rink and we had massive poutines for dinner. We lucked out and one of the ushers was handing out coupons for the place that sold the poutine. The suckers were huge and neither one of us finished ours.



Being at the rink early gave us a chance to watch warm up too. Steph was pissed because Montreal's #1 goalie wasn't playing and neither was the new guy they'd just signed. I was happy with my line up, even if Spezza was out with an injury.  The game was a good one. It was pretty fast paced (when the referees weren't blowing the whistle every 5 seconds) and there were 2 fights in the first 5 minutes. Things settled down after that.



I've missed seeing hockey live. It's so different when you're sitting in the stands, surrounded by fellow fans, cheering on your team. The sights, the sounds, the smells - they're all awesome. And it all adds to the experience and enjoyment of the game. It's the sort of thing that I think everyone should get to experience. Even if you're not a huge sports fan, there's enough stuff there to keep you occupied. Just watching the people is entertaining enough. Like the girls who were drinking their beer through a straw. Or the puck bunnies in the row behind us or the poor guy down in the 100s who got hit in the head with a stray puck. I guess he missed the warning about flying objects coming over the glass.



We hung out at the rink for a bit after the game, waiting for the parking lot to thin out. That worked well and we didn't spend too much time in traffic. The city is building a new highway access ramp for the arena so traffic will be much better once that's done.

Even though it was almost midnight by the time I got into bed, it was a great night. I had great company, great entertainment and my team cleaned house winning 5-1, which was the icing on the cake. I can't wait to go back and see my team play again.



Now it's time to crawl back into bed and try to catch up on some of the sleep I missed last night.

Good Night!

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment