Sunday 13 January 2013

Invasion Of The Singles and Sherlock Holmes

I just finished reading an article that a friend of mine posted on Facebook. It was all about people who live alone and the change that has had on society. For the first time ever, the number of people living alone has surpassed the number of people living as a family. People living as a couple (so just 2 people), is the highest, with people living alone coming in behind it.

Seeing as I live solo, I'm happy to read that I'm in good company. It used to be that the only people who lived alone were the divorced, widows, spinster and eternal bachelors. Thankfully, the idea of "spinsters" seems to have died away in our society. The societal pressures to get married and start a family seem to be easing but if you look at my office, that's not true. The idea of getting hitched and popping out a kid seems to be alive and well.

Thankfully, I don't get much pressure from my family to find a mate and settle down. It's usually just my grandparents who comment on the fact that I've been single and on my own for what seems like forever. But my parents never say anything. Which means they either don't care or they simply know better. My money's on the latter. They know I'm independent and more than capable of taking care of myself, but I'm sure they'd feel a little better knowing that there was someone else to help me do that. How do I know that? Because some days that's exactly how I feel.

Would I like to have someone else to help with the chores? Yes. Would I like to know that there was a 2nd income to fall back on if I don't get a contract renewal? Hell yes. Would I like to have someone here with me for moral support and a shoulder to cry on when the world gets just a little too overwhelming? Definitely. But for the time being, none of those things are in the cards so I've got to play the best I can with the hand I've got at the moment.

I have to admit that I do enjoy living alone. It has it's perks. Yes, statistically it is more expensive to live alone than it does if you're living as a couple but that's just another hurdle to work around. But it is to know that my chosen lifestyle is now en route to becoming the norm. Perhaps I'm a bit of a pioneer. LOL. At any rate, I'm sure these new trends will give the sociologists something to study for a bit.

Changing topics, I watched another 2 episodes of the BBC series "Sherlock" tonight. It's a very good show. The 2nd episode this evening was one of my favourite Sherlock Holmes stories: The Hound of the Baskervilles". It's a great one and one the scary side too. This show gave it a pretty wicked modern spin which turned out quite well. Perhaps I should hunt down the book and give it a read. I think I may have read it before but it was some time ago.

I probably should get to bed as it is now past midnight. I was up past midnight last night too as I was talking to my buddy Cam. We talked for 2 hours and I swear it felt like 10 minutes. I miss talking to him. For three and a half years I talked to him on pretty much a daily basis.He and his wife were running amuck in the West Edmonton Mall today. I hope they had a blast!  I guess that's a mark of a good friendship...when you haven't talked to each other in a very long time but when you do, you pick up right where you left off and it seems like it's only been days since you last spoke. I'm truly blessed to have several friends like that in my life.

Good Night!

Sarah

Calgary Stampeded 2008. We're pretending to be horses.


No comments:

Post a Comment