Sunday 7 October 2012

A Thankful Day

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner tonight. There was a ton of food, lots of wine, lots of laughter and an abundance of things to be thankful for. This wasn't a dinner with my family. This was a dinner with the "B" family.

I first met the B family back in 1997 thanks to their daughter who I met at University. Since I couldn't afford to go home for Thanksgiving, I was invited over to her family's house for dinner. Fast forward 15 years and I'm still being invited over for dinner. The fact that they count me in as one of their own makes my heart smile and I am so grateful for them. When I joined them for dinner in 2010, I was miserable. I was jobless and feel at odds with the world. They made me laugh and smile and gave me hope that things would get better, and they did. Being around them all today gave me the same feeling.

Mr and Mrs. B live out in the country in a lovely farm house. When we got there today, the men folk were out in the back 40 putting in fence posts. Mrs. B and I had stepped outside to take a photo of the beautiful sugar maple when her grand son came up to us. Turns out the tractor had run out of gas. So I volunteer to walk one of the spare gas cans out to them. It was a lovely fall day and the leaves were beautiful so a wander through the field was perfect. After delivering the gas and getting caught up with people, Mr. B says "Can you walk up ahead and hold up the next fence post?". So I troop through the tall grass and find the next pole and hold it until the others can get to me and then they banged it into the ground and attached the wire to it. The next thing I know, I've hunted down the next 10 poles. LOL. Just like my own family. If you show up, you're put to work. I was more glad to help out and it was very nice being outside too.

The dinner was great and the turkey was huge!! It was almost 30lbs. The best part of the night came during dessert. My friend's sister in law is a vegetarian so she doesn't eat turkey. She also doesn't like pumpkin pie. So, my friend and her husband got a "Turkey" ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins for dessert (and a pumpkin pie). The frozen turkey cake was a huge hit! Photos were taken of the sister in law eating the "turkey" and we all got to try a piece. I have to admit, it was pretty awesome. And pretty damn funny too.

It was a great day and evening. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful friends and people in my life. I appreciate them more than they'll ever know.

Before dessert was served, Mr. B had everyone at the table say what we are thankful for. I think I'm going to end tonight's blog with the answer I gave:

I am thankful for surviving the layoffs at work and having a job. I am thankful for friends who act as a surrogate family. And I am thankful for pants which fit looser coming out of storage than they did when they went into storage.

Good Night!

Sarah


Sugar Maple tree

No comments:

Post a Comment