Tuesday 9 October 2012

I am woman, hear me ROAR! And then whine a little.

Sarah 1. Air Conditioner 0.

My apartment was freezing. Usually, my place is roasting. When the heat comes on, I have two options: On and on full blast. There is no off, there is no low. Thankfully, I don't pay for my heat. It's included in the rent. However, as of late, my apartment has been freezing. Even with the oven on, I've been chilly. The culprit? The fact that my window AC unit was still in the window.

The way I saw it, I had two options: Freeze to death or take the damn thing out. I went with option B. I first decided that I needed to remove the plexi glass that was filling in the open window above my AC, since it was duct taped to the window and I needed to be able to slide the winow. It would appear that Steph and I did a wonderful sealing job with the duct tape back in May when she helped me put in the AC, because I couldn't get the fucking tape off! I had to go and get a kitchen chair and stand on it so that I could be close enough to pry the tape off. I finally got most of it off and then was able to get the plexi glass out.

For my next trick, I stood on the chair and shimmied the ac up and across the wood frame it rests on. I had to lift up as there are 2 little metal brackets that it sits on to help hold it in place. Once I got the damn thing towards the front of the board, I climbed off the chair and attempted to lift the unit out of the window. One end of it is significantly heavier than the other. As a result, I nearly dropped the whole thing onto my wicker blanket box. Thankfully, I managed to right it and myself mid-way through and pulled of the save and successfully got the ac onto the chair.

I then did a little heavy breathing and patted myself on the back for not dropping it or the board it rests on out the window. And for not falling ass over tea kettle out the window myself.

I then moved the AC to my bed where I managed to get it into a garbage bag for storage. It was at this point that I opted to store the AC in my bedroom closet rather than figure out how to get it down a flight of stairs and into my storage locker by myself. Instead, I literally rolled the AC across my bed, where I then picked it up and put it in my closet. TA DA!!!!!!!!

I'm also going to point out that I managed to do all of this without breaking a nail or encountering any major creepy crawlies. I'm willing to bet that my arms might be a tad on the tiny side tomorrow, but the pain will keep me awake in french class so it's a good thing.

Little miss independent strikes again :)

Good Night!

Sarah

Amost had to resort to dressing like this to keep warm!


1 comment:

  1. Job well done...I can help relocate it at a later date if you would like :)

    ReplyDelete