Tuesday 23 October 2012

Scary Shenanigans

I haven't seen my friend Stephanee in nearly 2 months. This is very rare for us. So tonight we made plans to go out and see a movie since it's cheap Tuesday. But first, I ask her to take me the "Spirit of Halloween" store so I can look for some make up for my costume. Sounds innocent enough, right? Nope.

Steph is a big 'ol scary cat (but I still love her!) and she really, REALLY hates spiders. I dislike them too but I'm ok with fake ones. Not Steph. So my job was to warn/protect her about/from the spiders in the store. I totally failed that job in less than 30 seconds. Here's how:

I walk in the door. To the left is a life size Frankenstein which moves and moans. To the right is a big furry spider about the side of a Jack Russell dog. I turn around, look at Steph and say "watch out, there's a big ass spider on the right" and I walk through the door way. Steph is right behind me, takes one step and the god damned spider jumps out at her. I swear to god. She screams a little, jumps a mile in the air and books it into the store with her hand clutched to her heart. I'm holding onto a shelf for support because I'm laughing so hard. Yes, I'm that supportive of a friend. Turns out, it's a "jumping spider" and somehow I managed to miss stepping on the sensor when I walked in but Steph didn't. Poor Steph.

Then something strange happened. A kid, maybe 9 years old (thank god Steph didn't swear when the spider pounced) comes right up to me and asks me if I'd like my fortune told. I politely said no thank you and he said ok and wandered off. Odd. Moving on.

Everywhere you look they had fake spiders on display. On the top of a rounder, they had a big, fluffy brown and grey spider (it was like a stuffed animal, only it was a spider) so I walked up to it and pet it saying "nice spider". Steph shuddered. I laughed.

Next we moved into the back room where more terror (and spiders) waited for us. This room had lots of masks in it along with life size moving characters like the villain from Scream and some other random monster and of course, a Mike Myers mask. Apparent Steph really doesn't like him either. So much so that when I had to go back into that room to get some make up, she waited in the main part of the store.

We were then looking at some decorations. I found these cool labels that you can put on bottles. One said "Zombie Juice" and I was joking about putting it on a co-worker's water bottle when the same kid from earlier comes walking up to me again. He looks at me and says "Zombie juice! So that's where that is. I've been looking for that" and then he takes the package out of my hands and runs off across the store yelling "dad! dad!". WTF??? Are you starting to see why kids terrify me?

Anyhow, I ended up getting the labels and some "Zombie Caution Tape" and a make up kit. It was now time to get back out of the store. I know what you're thinking. This should be good, right? No worries, it was.

I go out first and this time I step on the senor and the spider jumps out. So I'm standing there, holding the door open and Steph is still a good 5 feet inside the store. So I ask her what she's doing. She said that she's waiting for the spider to go back down. So I stand there, holding the door open and wait. I have a nice conversation with Frankenstein while I wait. He wasn't to talkative. Finally Steph makes a run for it. Yes, she ran out of the store, leaving the guy who'd been standing behind her killing himself laughing. I just shook me head.

We got to the movie safe and sound. It was wonderful. It was funny and very entertaining and best of all, involved no spiders. I highly recommend it and might even go and see it again when it gets to the cheap theatre.

So a big thank-you to Steph for a fun night out and for entertaining the hell out of me. Thank you for facing your fears long enough to let me shop. I really appreciate it. And I'm still going to make you go to Saunder's Farm and go on the haunted hayride with me :)

Good Night!

Sarah

Pretty spider web - but no spider!

No comments:

Post a Comment