Saturday 13 October 2012

Child of the 80s!!

I am a child of the 80s. I was 1 year and 7 months old when 1980 was ushered in. My generation was the first to embrace computers, the internet and cell phones. I can actually remember when our high school went "on line". I also remember having to use dial up internet access in University. But more than that, I remember some of the best things that the 80s gave us:

- Nintendo (released in 1983 in Japan, 1985 in North America) along with Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt (both released in 1985)
- Cabbage Patch Kids (mass produced for the first time in 1982)
- He-Man (1983) and She-Ra (1985)
- Rainbow Brite (1984) - my mom gave me the Romeo sprite when I went into the hospital to have my tonsils out on October 31st 1984. Tell a 6 year old that they can't go trick or treating and you remember it for life! I also remember the doctor telling that because it was a special date, I'd remember it. Guess he was right. I'm betting my mom didn't know that I remembered the toy too :)
 - Care Bears (1983)
- Strawberry Shortcake (1980)
- My Little Pony (1983)
-MTV (1981) and MUCH Music (1984)
- Hairbands (Like Def Lepard, Bon Jovi, Poison, Mötley Crüe, Gun N' Roses....)
- Back to the Future (1985)
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
- Star Wars episodes V (1980) and VI (1983). I'm not really a fan but I know several people who will have words with me if I don't include them in this list.
- Gremlins (1984)
And finally, the inspiration for tonight's blog: Who you gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS! (1984)

The 80s were a walking, talking fashion and pop culture disaster. No other decade gets laughed at quite as much as the 80s do. The 70s come close but not quite. I just remember it as being a fun time. I was a kid after all. I do remember the neon though. And leg warmers. And LA Gear clothing, which usually had a whole lot of neon on it. If anyone went to see LMFAO at Bluesfest this summer, you got a snap shot of what the 80s were like.

Anyhow, with Halloween approaching, I decided it would be a good night to watch Ghostbusters. I found a special DVD set at HMV, which had both Ghostbusters and Ghostbuster 2 in it, along with a little behind the scenes booklet. It was cheap and just thinking about those movies made me smile. Watching it as a kid, it was super cool. Amazing special effects. Watching it now just makes me laugh because the "special effects" seem rather lame compared to today's standards. But this is definitely a movie that stands the test of time. It's still funny. It's still cheezy. It's still awesome. And everyone still remembers the words to its title song - here's a link to the song in case you want to take a stroll down memory lane.




That's one of my favourite scenes. "GET HER!!!!!!" Makes me laugh every time.

Anyhow, I'm logging off to go and watch my movie.

Good Night!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment