Thursday 11 October 2012

Bus Wars

I take the bus at least twice a day. Usually it's a pretty mundane and uneventful ride. But tonight's was a little on the interesting side.

I caught the bus a little after 5pm, so right in the height of rush hour. My bus is usually on the full side to begin with but today it was running late so it was even more crowded than usual.

A woman was sitting on the outside of 2 seats. The inside seat was empty. The problem was that she had a rather large frame in a box with her, so she had it between her and the seat in front of her, which effectively blocked the seat beside her. 2 stops after mine, a woman decided that she wanted to sit in this empty, yet blocked seat. Since I had my iPod on, I didn't get the entire jest of the beginning of the conversation but I got the escalation which followed. Lady sitting  with package (Woman A) told standing lady (woman B) that she didn't think there was room because the package was in the way. Woman B told Woman A to move the package. Woman A said that she didn't want to block the aisle and hit people with it. I give a point to Woman A for that. Woman B then tell Woman A that she shouldn't have brought such a large package on the bus then, especially during rush hour. I'm going to award Woman B a point for that. It's kind of true. Plan your trips accordingly people! Woman B then tells Woman A that she paid for a seat on the bus so she's going to take it. Woman A said that she paid for a seat too. This is where Woman A loses a point because she's actually taking up 2 seats. So.... Woman B tries to shimmy past Woman A to get into the seat, which is pretty much impossible. Woman A just moves her legs a bit to the side. WTF? Are you people 3 years old or something?? Fuck.

Now's where it gets really interesting. While Woman B is trying to get passed Woman A (who isn't moving out of the way), her bag/purse swings a bit and hits Woman A on the head, which Woman A seems to take a bit of offence to. Gee, I wonder why? At this point, the two women are now seated side by side and are arguing loudly. To the point where the bus driver was looking at them (he was on the phone to control on a un-related matter - like the fact that we were very late and very crowded). Woman B must of really wanted that seat because I so wouldn't have wanted to sit next to a woman that I'd just had angry words with, had managed to piss off and had smacked in the head with my purse. The purse thing did look accidental from my view point (which was almost directly across the aisle). I get hit several times a week by the bags, purses and backpacks of people going by so I'm used to it and know that it happens.

The two women seemed to calm down. I lost track of how it ended as the bus was now so full of people that the aisle was blocked and I couldn't see them anymore. I think that Woman A got off the bus with her package or somehow moved to another seat. However, I did hear Woman B bitching to someone else about the ordeal (couldn't see her but I could hear her, even with my iPod on). So that made for a rather interesting bus ride home. For a minute there I thought there might be an actual brawl. I'm sure that would have resulted in the bus being detained while the cops were called, so I'm glad it didn't happen.

Oh! And during this whole mess, I got some awesome news via email: I scored tickets to the Hallowe'en Party that I wanted to go to!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my favourite bands, My Darkest Days, is playing there. I'm so friggin' excited. Two very awesome people worked together to get me the tickets and I'm so very greateful to them for it. I'm very excited now. For a multitude of reasons which I'll explain over the coming weeks :) The news made my day.

Good Night!

Sarah

It's not a city bus, but it's a bus. And it's a funny photo too :)


No comments:

Post a Comment