Wednesday 15 August 2012

Afternoon Delight

It was a rather quiet day today. Originally we were going to go to the beach but thanks to the weather not being what was originally forecast and my stomach deciding to pitch a fit, we ended up staying close to home and just ran some errands. I did end up with $25 worth of K-Cups in a whole variety of flavours and 3 bags of the Asparagus flower pasta that I love. So that was good. The rest of the day was spent reading.

I love to read. I love to be able to just sit, relax and let my imagination brings the words to life. Books can take you anywhere. They can make you believe in anything. They can invoke the whole gamete of emotions. Some say movies do the same, but not to the extent that books do. When you watch a movie, you see someone else's ideas of what the characters look like. You see someone else's idea of what a place looks like. With books, you get the description of the people and places from the author, but it's up to you to make them come to life in your head. It's one of the reason why I'm not a huge fan of movies that come from books. You get an idea in your head about what things look like and often the actors/actresses don't match what you have in your head.

This happened to me with "One for the Money". I adore Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. The books are funny and make for a very entertaining read. I was actually excited to hear that the first book was being made into a movie. Unfortunately, only 3 actors lived up to my mental image of the characters. I think when a book is being made into a movie, the fans should get to vote and select the actors rather than a casting agent.

In case you really want to know, I'm currently reading "Shadow of Night" by Deborah Harkness. It's the 2nd book in a 3 book series. The first book is "A Discovery of Witches". Both books are very well written and are intelligent and full of all kinds of interesting facts and ideas. Yes, it does involve Witches and Vampires (sorry, no werewolves but there are Demons....but they're not what you think) but this isn't anything remotely close to Twilight. It kind of makes me want to study science :)
I'm fortunate to come from a family of readers. My mom always has a book on the go and so did my grandmother. She was actually a volunteer who would take library books to shut-ins. So reading runs in my family and is important. Books provide entertainment and knowledge. You can learn something new or escape to a far away place, fall in love or get scared to death.

One day I will write a book and send it out into the world for others to enjoy.

I'm off to Stratford tomorrow to see a play at the Festival Theatre. We're seeing "Much Ado About Nothing" written by one of my all time favourite authors, William Shakespeare. I'm rather excited. But more on that tomorrow.

One more thing before I end the blog tonight. Today is the 100th birthday of Julia Child. She was an incredible woman, full of great character, full of life and possibly full of butter. She was first introduced to me by my high school home ec. teacher and I've loved her ever since. I hope to one day be able to cook like she did: with reckless abandon and no fear at all. She died in 2004 at the age of 91, so maybe there's something to the butter thing after all. And the wine. Bon Appétit Julia!

Good Night All.

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment