Wednesday 8 August 2012

Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

Wow. What a friggin' long day. And I didn't even get to go for my walk tonight. That's partly due to the fact that it was 6:30 by the time I got home from work and running errands. I had to start cleaning my apartment tonight too since I leave for holidays on Friday.

Why is it that the closer you get to vacation time, the more hectic work becomes? I was there late mostly because I was trying to tie up loose ends so that the person covering for me while I'm gone isn't totally lost. Then one of our mangers saw that I was still there and the next thing you know I was sending an email to England. Oh yeah, and the power went out for about 3 seconds too. That's the kind of day it's been. Thankfully the thunderstorm that caused the power flicker was over with by the time I left. All I got was a rumble of thunder in the distance about 2 blocks of rain. The sun was out by the time I got home. And a really hot construction worker sat next to me on the bus.

Lunch was even stressful today. I got interrupted by our IT guy, which wasn't so bad. They do favours for us all the time so I owed him. But one of my charming co-workers was going on and on about a comedy routine (which he went on about yesterday as well), which happens to involved some very not nice words. His argument was that he wasn't saying them, he was just repeating what someone else said. It's all semantics. The bad words exited his mouth, thus, he said them. Whether or not he believes that they should be used is irrelevant. I'm no saint here. I can swear like a sailor when I'm pissed off, extremely annoyed or drunk, but I also know when to draw the line and know what is and isn't appropriate in a group setting. Why bring them up in the first place?? Just to see what kind of a reaction you can get?? Boggles my mind. Anyhow, one of the words made most of the females uncomfortable and the other one very much displeased one of our fellow co-workers who wasn't part of the conversation but was in the area and could hear it. Said displeased co-worker spoke up and asked for a change of topic, which he immediately got. The entire incident kind of put a damper on things and I was already stressed out so it did not lead to a good afternoon. In case you're dying of curiosity about the words said, I'll give you some clues. The first one started with a C and rhymes with Blunt. The second one starts with an N and rhymes with Trigger. Yeah. Not exactly works you here every day eh?

Some of this lead to another co-worker and I having a very interesting discussion. Alanna raised the question to me about whether or not we're our true selves at work, or do we act differently in the office than we do when we're out with our non-work friends. We did decide that most people are relatively the same, but perhaps are just more relaxed outside of work. I had to agree with her. I'd say that at work, about 75% of me is the same as the non-work me. The biggest difference being that I'm more serious and more "up tight" at work than I am when I'm home alone or out with non-work friends. I censor myself more at work. I'm not quite as carefree and free-spirited at work than I am at home. Example - If I'm at home and am listening to music and a song I love comes on, I'll sing along and dance around. At work, I usually hum along to it and might "chair dance" a little but that's about it. Similar response, just one is more watered down than the other.

Perhaps we all need to be a little guarded. But what happens when it's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? What happens when the work person is completely different that the home person? Which one is the real person? What happens when you spend half your day lying to someone? You're either lying to your co-workers or you're lying to those in your non-work life. Do you get confused? Do you spend half your day feeling empty? I really don't know. I can't say that I really know most of my co-workers outside of the office, except for sharing a few drinks with them from time to time. Which I've discovered is a little on the dangerous side. I lose my filter when I've been drinking. And it's not that I mind being 100% honest with my co-workers, it's more that I'm worried about scaring the shit out of them. And some things could be a little embarrassing later. Like the mention of a rather large gift...long story and I'm not drunk enough to tell it *grin*.

Ok, I'm friggin' tired and somewhat cranky due to a long and stressful day and no walk. I'm going to end my bitching here and head to bed. I have to pack tomorrow night. Just 2 more sleeps before I get to go home and see my parents!!

Sweet Dreams, whoever you are :)

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment