Friday 31 August 2012

Pay It Forward

It was a good day at work and a sad one at the same time. It was good because things went well and I got a lot done and it's the Friday before a long weekend, so that made it awesome to start with. I was sad because it was also the last day of work for several of our staff. Some are returning to school, one is going on mat leave and one is moving onto a better job.

Having the students leave means that summer is almost over. The long hours of sunlight are slowly dwindling. The last of the summer flowers are blooming. It's times like this when it seems like time is just moving by far too quickly. And I have to admit it: I miss school. I loved going to University and getting to open my mind to new ways of looking at the world, new ways to interpret things and for the first time, really thinking for myself. I don't miss the mid-terms and final exams, but I miss school.

It was also kind of a sad day because the co-worker who's moving on to bigger and better things is gone. She was a blast to have in the office. I'd known her a little before getting the chance to work with her and over the last 5 weeks or so, I've really gotten to know her better and have learnt that she's a wonderful person and I genuinely enjoyed spending time with her. And I'm somewhat amazed by her killer Crossword skills too. I know it's not "goodbye" as I'll see her again, it's just not going to be the same on Tuesday morning without having her there. Next Thursday will be worse for the 'farewell' category, but more on that later next week.

Before leaving work this evening, I was chatting with some of our evening staff and there was a mini game of "six degrees" happened as a lot of people working here know other people in the department and so on. How people found out about the jobs came up and someone's comment about it being great to be able to help out others reminded me of something from long ago.

I had a teacher in high school who gave everyone in the class a special paper in our last class before graduation. Mine was a long quote about life and happiness and the end part stuck with me and I still remember it. It said "And above all remember this: Do what you can, for whom you can, with what you have and with what you will obtain". Not quite the same quote as Roosevelt but close.  That line really has stuck with me all my life and I've very much tried to do that. I guess it's the same concept as "Pay it Forward". It's a simple idea really. If someone does something nice for you, go out and do something nice for someone else.

I think the world would be a much better place if more people subscribed to that idea. It doesn't have to be a grand gesture either. Even the smallest things can really make someone's day. Something as simple as paying for the coffee of the person behind you in the drive through. Or holding the door open for a someone who's pushing a stroller. Or sending a post card to a friend.

I do that last one a lot. I have a couple of friends who are near and dear to my heart who lives several thousand kilometres away. One of my favourite things to do is to pick up a cute card or random post card and send it to them, just so that they know I'm thinking of them. It's truly amazing how much getting something simple like that in the mail can totally brighten your day. I know, because said friends do the same for me.

A simple, selfless, heartfelt random act of kindness can completely turn someone's day around.

If you're reading this, and I've ever done something nice for you, please go out there and do something nice for someone else. Share a smile. Buy a child a balloon, compliment someone on the colour of their dress, send an old friend a postcard just to say hi....just spread some happiness in the world. Not only will the other person feel amazing, but you will too.

Thank you for being so nice as to take the time to read this blog. I'll be sure to pay that forward.

Good Night!

Sarah





No comments:

Post a Comment