Saturday 1 September 2012

Getting Back to Nature

Nature. It's all around us but most people don't seem to take the time to notice it or enjoy it. Living in the city is great. There's lots of things to see and do but city life is usually very busy and we spend most of our time rushing from one place to another. From work to home. We all need to take a break to re-charge our batteries, so to speak. And I got to do that today.

My good friend Stephanee's parents have a cottage just outside of Wakefield, Quebec. After whining to Steph that I hadn't got to go with her to their cottage this year, she broke down and agreed to take me today. It was wonderful. As we headed down the highway, leaving the city behind, I could feel my spirits lifting. With each breath I took, I felt the stress leaving me. We look the scenic route, which takes us through a very beautiful area which skirts the Gatineau River. The views are incredible and I could hear my soul start to sing as I looked out the car windows and took in the beauty that surrounded us.

The town of Wakefield almost looks like something out of a movie. It's really a very beautiful little place. It has a general store, a bakery, a candy shop (which sells amazing jam) and a bunch of other quaint little shops, cafes, art galleries and restaurants. There's even a steam train that goes through town (currently our of service awaiting track repairs). Just being there makes you believe in a more simple way of life. We stopped at their little farmer's market and I bought some local honey.

Steph's cottage is built on the hill overlooking the lake. When you get out of the car, all you can smell is pine trees, earth and happiness. The way the sun filters through the trees and leaves little spots of light on the ground reminds me of a disco ball. There are all kinds of squirrels and birds everywhere and the view from their back deck is enough is stunning. It's the kind of place where you could just sit on the deck and look out at the lake for hours on end, without a care in the world.

When I was little, my parents would take my brother and I camping every summer. We usually went to Sharbot Lake Provincial Park, which is one of my most favourite places in the world. I guess that's where my love and appreciation for the outdoors and nature started. Spending time at lake, away from the hustle and bustle of life, is filled with so many happy and wonderful memories and the come flooding back as soon as I see groves of trees and the sun reflecting back off a lake.

I know that the idea of spending time in the dirty, messy, bug and critter infested outdoors is not everyone's cup of tea. And some people prefer swimming in a crystal blue pool rather than a chilly, pebble bottom, seaweed tickling lake,  but I think everyone really should give it a try. Now that I'm older, I will admit that I prefer to sleep inside a cottage rather than in a tent, but the principal behind it is still the same. The world around us is beautiful. Being a part of nature and enjoying the wilderness around us is in everyone's soul. Sometimes we don't realise that until they get the chance to get out there, explore it and enjoy it.

My day in nature was perfect. I got to feel the sun on my shoulders, the wind in my hair as we toured the lake in a very cool boat and felt the refreshment of the lake as I splashed around and swam around in the lake. My soul is smiling right now. My batteries have been re-charged and my stress has melted away. I think that's better than any spa visit or night out on the town.

Before I end the blog tonight, I'd also like to say a special "Hello" to Stephanee, Natalie and Heather. We all met 15 years ago this weekend (ok, give or take a few days) at Carleton University. I can't believe that it was that long ago!! You ladies have made such a huge impact on my life and your friendship means the world to me. I'm so glad that I met you and I'm blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. I love you!!

Good Night,

Sarah

My feet on the railing of the deck at Steph's cottage (taken last summer)

1 comment:

  1. Love you too Swatson....you are and always have been an absolute inspiration to me. Here's to the next 15 years!!!

    ReplyDelete