Sunday 23 September 2012

Elvis, Roy Orbison and A Flock of Seagulls

It's currently 12:34am. I am awake, thanks in part to the bottle of diet Pepsi and bag of M&Ms that I've been nursing for the last 2 hours. A co-worker lent me "Snow White and the Huntsman". Horrible movie. I very much disliked it. It is cool to see Charlize Theron as the evil queen. She did a good job. And Chris Hemsworth is easy on the eyes. But the rest of it...so not worth the 2+ hours. I ended up past forwarding through a lot of the final battle scenes because I just wanted it to end. "Mirror, Mirror" with Julia Roberts definitely gets my vote for the Snow White movie of 2012.

Anyhow, it was an interesting day. I braved the shitty weather (which actually cleared up a bit) to venture downtown to the market. With today (ok, yesterday at this point) being the first day of autumn, I was inspire to cook and if you're going to do it right, you need the best ingredients available. So a trip to the market to get fresh and local food stuffs was the order of the day.

I got celery for $1. A mixed bag of onions, potatoes and carrots for $5 (about a half quart of each), a turnip for $1, a head of broccoli for $1 and 2 heads of cauliflower for $1.50. I think I did well. I also hit up the Italian store for some hard to find pasta and special canned tomatoes and lucked out. The cheese I needed was on sale there so I grabbed it too. I got some freshly made turkey and apple sausages from the butcher and a trip to the Sushi place for lunch rounded out my market experience.

On the way back, that's when things got entertaining. While waiting for the bus, I noticed a man in an electric wheelchair. The thing was, he kept getting up out of the chair, would talk to his buddy, walk around and then sit back down. He did this about 3 times. He eventually turned towards where I was and that's when I saw his shirt. It said "Elvis Presley Roy Orbison Impersonator". And wouldn't you know it, the dude did look a little like Elvis (over weight, old Elvis). Sideburns and all. Some ladies stopped to ask him if a certain bus had passed and they thanked him by saying "Thank you. Thank you very much" and then laughed hysterically. They then took a photo with said Elvis/Roy impersonator, who once again got out of his wheelchair for the photo op. Odd indeed.

After I got home and had lunch, I had to run to the grocery store to pick up the few things that I didn't get in the market. On the way home, I could hear some seagulls making quite the fuss. I live close enough to the river that the seagulls are around. The fact that there's a Wendy's across the street and the woman 2 houses down feeds the damn things, keeps them around. Anyhow, I had just made it across the street when 4 seagulls came flying out from the front lawn of my apartment building and swooped over me, low enough that I had to duck. The lead seagull had half a bagel in its beak. That explains all the fussing. The 4 stupid gulls then proceeded to circle around and chase one and other at a rather low altitude. I guess the bagel was heavy. Stupid birds. Thankfully I managed to get inside my apartment building before I got shit on, so that was good.

For dinner I made a lovely soup. You can read all about it and get the recipe in my new blog: Cooking Shenanigans This blog is strictly for my kitchen adventures (or misadventures, of which, there are many). You know, one blog wasn't keeping me busy enough. LOL.

Thankfully I get to sleep in tomorrow. With my luck, I'll wake up at 6 or 7 and not be able to fall back to sleep.

I think it's bed time. Good Night!

Sarah

Taken in St. Stephen, NB in 2006



No comments:

Post a Comment