Friday 3 August 2012

I've Got Nothing

Welcome to Friday. And this is a special Friday too...it's the Friday of the long weekend. There was several people missing from the office so you definitely know it's a long weekend. Even the bar was a bit dead tonight. Myself and 8 co-workers met up for drinks and dinner after work. A lot of us were really tired so it wasn't one of our more boisterous outings but it was still amusing and entertaining.

I thought I'd be too tired to walk tonight, but I wasn't. I actually opted to go the opposite direction along the path tonight and ended up doing a longer walk as a result. 3.7km to be exact. It was an alright chance of scenery. The sucky part is that I have to cross the road 3 times and go under 2 big bridges to get the pretty part of the trail again. Still, it was nice and it felt good (especially after the deep fried pickles I had tonight) and the cool shower afterwards was bliss. Back to the long weekend.

So I have 3 lovely days off ahead of me and zero plans. That's right, I've got nothing. I've got some things I should do like laundry and cleaning my apartment, but no real plans to speak of. I'm contemplating going to the beach tomorrow. It's supposed to be stupid hot here (high of 35C before the humidex) and I'm sure there'd be a nice breeze coming off the water and I do have a new book to read and I haven't been swimming in a very long time.... but I dunno. I'm not entirely sure I'm up to going to the beach alone.

I'm not worries about drowning or having someone steal my stuff per say, I'm more worried about the looks you get.  Those of you who have ever gone out alone and done something that social convention usually says should be done as a couple or group know what I'm talking about. It's a strange look that's half pity and half awe.

I know, I know. I shouldn't let other people stop me from doing what I want to do....unless it's jumping into a fountain while semi-intoxicated. But sometimes I find it depressing too. Looking around at all the happy couples and groups of friends, wishing I wasn't alone. It's not that I don't have any friends, it's just the fact that they're aren't around or are simply too busy with their own lives. I can think of a couple people who'd gladly go to the beach with me if they weren't 4000+ kms away. That's a bit of a commute for a day at a city beach so I really can't fault them for that. Others are away with their own families.

This time next week I'll be home with my parents as I'm heading off on vacation for 10 days, so having a weekend to myself is a good thing. There's a lot happening in town. We have the Buskers Festival this weekend and the Rideau Canal Festival/Colonel By Day as well.  Or I can opt to sit at home with my AC on and just read allllll weekend. And I get to sleep in. Oh bliss! I can sleep in. That's one of my favourite things to do :)

I'm sure that left to my own devices, I'll come up with something to keep myself entertained. I always do.

So to those of you out there with a long weekend ahead of you, I hope it's a safe and fun one!

Good night,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment