Saturday 4 August 2012

Life's A Beach

What a wonderful summer day. The sun was out, a breeze was blowing, the tree-toads were singing so I did the most logical summer activity that I could think of. I went to the beach.

Being a land locked province (I'm not counting the great lakes), we don't have access to the ocean so our beaches aren't quite on the same level as the ones you see in New Brunswick or Vancouver, Florida or California but we do what we can. I'm fortunate enough to live in a city which has several beaches on the river. So today, I ventured out to one of them.

I'm also fortunate to live pretty close to the beach. A very short bus ride and I was there. We've had a very hot, dry summer here. We haven't had any substantial rain since May but I was beyond shocked to see how low the water level was at the beach. I actually sat in an area that's usually under water. I found a spot of shade, parked my chair, pulled out my book and sat back to enjoy. After a few chapters, I put down my book, ditched my sundress and headed for the water. Yes, I had my bathing suit on underneath!

The water was perfect. Not too cold, not too warm. It was great. I chased little minnows in the shallow water near the shore and swam about when the water finally got deep enough. It was very lovely. I then got out and pretty much repeated everything one more time before deciding to go home.

Want to know the best part of the day? Not once did I feel self conscious. Not once! That never happens at the beach!! When I walked from my chair to the water, I didn't give a rat's ass who was looking. In fact, I didn't even look around. I was just focused on how nice and cool the water was going to feel. Same with when I got out of the water. I just strolled back to my chair like I owned the place. I'm pretty sure this had something to do with the fact that when I tried on my bathing suit this morning, it was almost too big! I was actually somewhat worried that the bottoms might fall down. Had to adjust and tighten the straps on the top too so that the ladies didn't run away. A wardrobe malfunction would have definitely made the trip to the beach memorable, for me and anyone who happened to see it too.

So not only did I venture out all by my lonesome, but I strutted around like I was a supermodel too. LOL. Suddenly I have Rupaul in my head!

I enjoyed myself so much that I have to ask myself this question: Why the fuck didn't you do this sooner? Think of all the wasted days there were that I could have spent at the beach, if I'd only been brave sooner. Oh well. No regrets.

I didn't go walking tonight as I figured that my swimming this afternoon covered that off. No playlist tonight either. It's a little hard to swim and listen to an iPod at the same time. There's an idea Apple - make a waterproof iPod for swimmers.

For some odd reason, I'm rather sleepy so I think I'll sign off and head to bed.

Good night and sweet dreams!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment