Thursday 2 August 2012

The Universe is F*cking With Me

I had a very interesting day. Some rather odd events occurred and I'm not sure what to make of them. Both fall into the "it's a small world" category.

First up - the mystery caller.

When I got home from work on Monday, I had a voicemail on my home phone. It was some guy named Mike calling to speak to some guy named John. The message rambled on for a bit, I ignored it and deleted it since it was obviously the wrong number. On Wednesday, sometime in the afternoon, I looked at my cellphone and realized I had a missed call. I checked my voicemail and it was Mike again, looking for John. Again, I deleted the message. My cell# is on my home voicemail so this was nothing odd to me. When I got home from work, there was a 3rd message from Mike, looking for John on my home phone. This was a very long message. With a lot of detail as to Mike's weekend plans. As I listened to the message, I got a strange nagging sensation in the back of my brain somewhere. It occurred to me that Mike's voice was rather familiar and that a few of the things he mentioned in his message rang faint bells. Mike left both is home and work numbers in the message, so I saved it, planning on calling Mike later to tell him and I wasn't John and no one lives here by that name.

While on my lunch break today, I decided to look up Mike's number online. When the result came back, you could have knocked me on my ass with a feather. I did indeed know this Mike. He's a guy I dated briefly 13 years ago! What the hell are the odds? Since returning from my 4 years out west, I've only seen Mike once, and I deliberately (and quite stealthily) avoided him. We'd also run into each other in a group on Facebook about 8 months ago. That ended with me blocking him and the group admin deleting him (story isn't worth getting into). So I'm have zero desire to connect with this man again. So I will not be calling Mike to tell him that he's got the wrong number for John.

After relating this story to 2 co-workers, they both suggested that this couldn't be a mere coincidence. But how could it not be? The public listing for my phone number only lists my first initial and there are 16 people with the same first initial and same last name that come up on the search list. My cell # is on Facebook but only my friends can see it and my home # isn't on my cell voicemail. And my phone number has changed a few times since I went out with Mike.
There are lots of people who believe that there are no coincidences. That everything is linked and it's not random at all. I'm not sure that I personally believe that. A phone number is 10 digits. It's very easy to get just 1 digit mixed up and you accidentally call someone else. Who hasn't done that before?

I think the universe is simply fucking with me. But man, I really would love to know what the odds are on that. Where's Sheldon when you need him? Should Mike call again, I'm just going to recruit one of my male co-workers to call him back and let him know that he's got the wrong number.

The other fun one from today was the discovery that the daughter of Peter, one of my former co-workers, just bought a house 1 block away from my parents. That was kind of impressive :) And Peter got so excited about that. It was entertaining to watch.

Some things are definitely easier to explain than others. Some things just can't be explained. I say we just sit back and quietly ponder them all, just for a little while and the ones we can't solve, we just shrug and move on.

Just as a side note, I may or may not have changed the names of the people involved here. Just to keep you guessing :D

Good night!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment