Tuesday 14 August 2012

Hey Mister! Can I Pet Your Snake?

So today turned out to be a rather interesting day.

It started off being pretty normal. The damn garbage and recycling trucks woke me up so my goal of sleeping in past 8 didn't really happen. Remember, I'm on holidays, so sleeping is allowed! Mom, dad and I then headed off to Brampton. It rained the whole way, which sucked. The bathroom in the Shell station just off the highway was surprising clean and smelt nice, so that was great. Getting to see my cousin Linda after WAY TOO LONG totally ROCKED! We all had a nice visit and got to go out for a nice lunch. My dad also managed to back up the car and not run over my thumb ring, so that was an added bonus :) Yes, that's what I said. The darn thing fell off as I was getting out of the car and it rolled under the car, just out of reach. Apparently I need smaller rings.

Anyhow, after our very nice visit, we headed home as we needed to stop in and check up on the oldies (also know as my mom's best friend's parents, or Mr. and Mrs. B). They're a very charming couple who are 98 and 99 respectively. And they're quite a hoot. Well, for me atleast. They remind me a bit of my grandparents so I really do enjoy visiting them. While we were there, they asked if we could run and get some groceries. So my dad and I headed off, leaving mom at the house with Mrs. and Mr. B. The grocery shopping was normal and we managed to fine everything on the list. Dad said that he'd like to stop at the Tim Horton's next to the grocery store for a tea. I thought that was a super idea. So after putting the groceries in the car, we headed over. We're almost at the Tim's when dad points to a man in the parking lot and says "Check out that snake". I look over and sure enough, there's two men in the parking lot, holding a 6 foot long Boa Constrictor. Not exactly something you see everyday in a Tim's parking lot. I just happened to have my camera in my purse so I joked to my dad "Maybe I should ask if I can take a photo". I should know better than to joke with my dad because the next thing you know, he's walked up to the snake man and asked if we can take a photo. Snake man said "Sure! And you can hold him if you like".

I can't explain the thought process that occurred, but the next thing you know, I have my arms full of snake. Turns out, that it was a very nice snake. He's 2 years old and his name is Goliath. I have held a snake before, just not one this big. He seemed to like me because after wrapping himself up in my arms, he proceeded to do the snake equivalent of falling asleep. Good to know that I have a calming effect on large snakes. Or maybe it was the threat of turning him into shoes to match my new purse that made the snake behave.

I got to hold Goliath for almost 5 minutes before it was time to head into Tim's and get our caffeine fix. Goliath didn't want to let go and his owner had to un-wrap him from my hand. If you've never held a snake before (and I'm talking the reptile kind for all of you who have your minds in the gutter), they're actually quite smooth and feel a little on the cool side to the touch. And at no point was I afraid of it. Had it been a giant ass spider, I would have been on the other side of the parking lot in a heart beat, but I have no problems with snakes. Even ones big enough to swallow my leg :)

So that was my day. My evening was quite tame in comparison seeing as it was spent just sitting outside with my parents or inside watching tv with them. I did get to see their friendly neighbourhood rabbit before dinner. It was in the neighbour's yard and it chased a bluejay, which had swooped in to get a peanut. I didn't know that rabbits didn't like birds. Interesting.

Who knows what adventure I'll stumble upon tomorrow?

Good Night!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment