Wednesday 22 August 2012

Fuck Perfect

I am not a perfect person. I know, a highly shocking revelation, but it's true. And guess what? I don't ever want to be perfect.

In one of my groups on Facebook, someone asked us what we like most about ourselves. I replied with "I love everything about myself, even the parts that need improvement". I didn't mean it to be self deprecating in any way. It was a very honest answer. One of the other group members responded and said "You are perfect Sarah, in every way". Now I know that the meant it as a compliment, but it's so not fucking true. I am highly imperfect. And I like it that way.

We all have faults of some sort. We all have things about ourselves, be them physical, emotional, personality based etc. that we'd like to change. Frankly, I don't think human beings are supposed to be perfect and I think a lot of people would be so much happier if they stopped trying to reach that unattainable goal.

Somethings in this world can be perfect. You can have a perfect moment, a perfect day, a perfect dinner, a perfect dress, a perfect pair of shoes...but a perfect person? I don't buy it.

I'm all for striving to better ones' self. It's kind of what I'm in the middle of doing in my life at the moment. But I also know that while I can better myself, I can't perfect myself. Do you have any idea how boring it would be if we were perfect??  Maury Povich, Jerry Springer and Dr. Phil would all be out of business. What would we sit around and vent about? There would be no more self-help books or classes! We wouldn't need religion anymore since we'd all be perfect and have no sins or no moral issues to trouble us, so divine guidance would no longer be sought.

I think it's the imperfections in things that make them unique, especially in people. Isn't that the benchmark of real love? If you can love someone completely, faults and all, it's real and true love?

Society as a whole seems to put a little too much emphasis on perfect: Perfect Hair, Perfect Skin, Perfect Body, Perfect Clothes, Perfect Car, Perfect Computer and it goes on and on. We need to fight back and stand up for ourselves. Embrace your character flaws! Embrace your uneven complexion!Embrace your lovehandles! I will draw the line at embracing your suicidal/homicidal/pedophile tendencies though. Those are flaws that most definitely require professional help. But you get my point. It isn't until we all take a stand and let the world know that we're tired of them dictating our wants and goals to us, that things will start to change.

Stop trying to be perfect. It's more or less impossible to do. Just focus on improving instead and be happy with who you are. Love yourself and all your imperfections. I think you'll find that life is just a little easier if you do.

Good Night!

Sarah

A not quite perfect, but still incredibly beautiful butterfly


No comments:

Post a Comment